Saturday, May 30, 2009

As Long As I Get My Sunset

I smell like ocean
Which isn't bad
I guess, in the grand scheme
The grand scheme of things
As they say

I have sand
All over me
And it tickles
But it's not unpleasant

I'm in a cave
And the water's coming in
And I have no way to get out
So I suppose I should worry
But I just can't

I don't care about what happens
As long as I get my sunset

I can't see the palm trees anymore
I can't see the island
I can't see civilization
But I'll see my sunset
That's the one thing you can't miss

I don't even know
If there's a world out there anymore
I heard explosions
And I woke up in a cave
And I don't remember
How I got here
Or what it is that I wanted
Or why I'm wearing nothing
But an AC/DC t-shirt
From the last tour
And Bermuda shorts

But I'm assuming
Or I have to assume
That I'm a tourist
Or a crazy person
Or both

But I don't care about any of that
As long as I get my sunset

I know that I don't think
I'm much to look at
And it seems silly
To think of something
That shallow
When you're about to die

But I really wish
I could have at least
Lived one day on this earth
As a beautiful person

That must be something
That really must be something

I wish I could have been that sunset
I wish that in the next life
If there's a life to come back to
A world left to live in
I wish to come back as that

As a beautiful thing
That emerges everyday
And gives a little bit of something
To everyone who sees it
That reminds them
They still have time
Unless they don't
Unless they're like me

And even then, they'll go--
At least I got a sunset

I got a lot of sunsets
A lifetime of sunsets

There's a three-piece suit
Right over there, near the cave paintings
And I don't know if it's mine
But I think I'll put it on
And wade into the water

Why wait for it to come to me?
I feel like I've been waiting
Waiting for things my whole life
And maybe this time
I need to go towards something
Instead of waiting for it
To crawl up onto my toes
And slide over me

Be so passive about life
Be so inactive in it
Be so sad about everything

Who says death has to be sad?
Maybe it's sad because we let it crawl onto us
Rather than take it up into our hands
And let it rain down upon us

I'm not talking suicide
But since it's inevitable
Why not fight it
By going right at it

By looking up into it
And seeing if you can breathe it in
And keep breathing
Right up until the end

I'm not scared of death
I'm just afraid of that sunset
I'm afraid it won't come soon enough

The cave paintings are unusual
They show a whole world of happy people
People who have nothing
People who are impressed by fire
People who thought the world
Was made for them to play in

Isn't that fantastic?

They had fire and woolly mammoths
And that was all they needed
And if they needed more
They had sunsets, didn't they?

Maybe the same ones
That I've had all my life
Who knows?

Maybe I wasn't so bad to look at
I can't check now
Because I don't have a mirror
Just the water to look down into
And who knows
How honest
The reflection will be
Or the person
It's reflecting

I once heard a story
About a man
Who could make you look at yourself
And other people
As if it was the first time
You were ever seeing them
Or yourself

I wondered what I'd look like
If I would like what I'd see
If maybe I'd go easier on myself
If it would be bearable

. . . . .

There it is
There's that last one
The last one I'll get
Before the water comes

There's peace
I didn't know I'd get it
I didn't know for sure
But I got it, I did

I got my peace
I said it, and I had it
And now I can go
Now it's okay

I said I'd go happily
And I'm a man of my word
And I got a three-piece suit, too
And I got a cave painting
And I got cool air
And I got a sea breeze

And the smell of the ocean
And warm sand on my skin
And the certainty
That the palm trees
And the island
And the resorts
Are all out there somewhere

That I could get back to them
If I didn't already promise
That all I wanted
Was one last day to end
With me still breathing

And I got it
So how can you not be happy?
Really, how can you not?
When you get exactly
What you wanted

I just kept saying--
I kept saying it
Over and over

As long as I got my sunset
Then everything will be all right

And you know what?

I was right

I was wrong about a lot of things

But this time
I was right

No comments:

Post a Comment