Saturday, May 23, 2009

Does God Love Uncle Matt?

Hi, Mrs. Cooper?
This is Carly Trayton.
Emily's Mom?
I'm calling about Emily.
More specifically
What she asked today in your class.

I am aware that I send my daugher
To a religious academy.
I do that, not because I want her to learn bigotry and hatred
But rather
To teach her values and morality
Like doing the right thing
Sharing what you have with those less fortunate
And treating others as you would like to have them treat you

Today, in your class
When she asked you
If God loved her Uncle Matt
Even though Uncle Matt
My brother
Is gay

You told her 'No'

Now
I could argue what you said
On many, many levels
But I'll argue it
On a very basic one

I have led a good life, Mrs. Cooper
Let me assure you of that
I have a good marriage
I have been a good parent
And a good child to my parents
I'm a wonderful sister
Just as my brother Matt is wonderful to me

Though I don't believe in boasting
I would hope that there is a place in heaven
For someone like me
But I can tell you one thing
If my brother Matt isn't there
Then I don't want to be there
I couldn't be happy there
I can promise you that

If God doesn't love Uncle Matt
Then God shouldn't bother trying to love me either
Or my parents
Or Matt's friends

There will be a lot of people
Off God's Christmas card list

Now
Can you tell me how that little paradox works out?
Can you explain that Mrs. Cooper?

.....

I didn't think you could
So the next time my daughter asks
If God loves her Uncle Matt
You damn well better say 'Yes'

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment