Saturday, October 10, 2009

I Couldn't Find a Rose

I couldn't find a rose

I found some shacks on the beach
I found bearded men living in them
Playing songs when the sun went down
Sitting around a campfire
Talking about trips
They weren't planning on taking

I could take you to that beach
And introduce you to the men
But I couldn't find a rose

I found a butterfly tattoo
That I thought would look great
But I couldn't think of where on you
You'd want it to go
And it was so small
Hardly an impressionable butterfly

I imagined it on the back of your neck
A secret hidden by your bright black hair
But I couldn't find a rose

I found a carnival we could go to
With cotton candy given away like...candy
A baby blue ferris wheel
Bumper cards with lightning painted on them
A rollercoaster on which you'd bury yourself
Into the side of me to mask the terrified laughter

I thought of us rushing through the air
Trying to pick out the world from the heights
But I couldn't find a rose

In all those clouds
In the light of those sandy fires
In pink hues of the butterfly

I thought maybe I saw hints
Traces, glimpses
Of what I have with you

But I couldn't find a rose
I couldn't find a rose beautiful enough
That would make it worth giving to you

No comments:

Post a Comment