Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Lovestruck Astronaut

I'm not going back, Gene.

I already decided
I already decided I'm staying here

There's nothing for me back there
Nothing but seven continents
Rapidly melting glaciers
And a skyscraper or two

And her

She's back there, Gene

But she's not mine
She's not mine anymore
Than Niagra Falls is mine

So why go back?

Can you tell me, Gene?
Can you tell me that?

I thought if I got far away enough
She would shrink in my head
She would stop being so large
Her presence would seem meager
When compared to the grand scope of the solar system

I was wrong

She's still there
Passing through my life
Like a comet

I just catch traces of her
And then she's gone

. . . . .

It's strange being here
I used to say that line
That line from "It's a Wonderful Life"

'You want the moon? I'll put a big lasso around it'

Now I could
I really could
I'd need a bigger lasso than I thought
But I could do it

And she wouldn't care
She still wouldn't care
Even I came back
With the moon flying high behind me
Like a bird on a string

There isn't a gesture in the world
Big enough to make someone love you

But now I'm not on the world anymore
Isn't it funny?
That there's a place
Where the expression--

'Nowhere in the world'

--means nothing?

I don't love anybody in the world
As much as I love her

But now I can see it
I can see the world
I can see how massive it is
And yet, how tiny

And maybe I could find someone else
Maybe on that little dot somewhere
There's someone I could love

But I'm tired
I'm really tired
And it's a long, long way back

No comments:

Post a Comment