Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thanks for the Divorce

-- Too many people stay in a marriage for the kids. This is a kid thanking his mother for doing exactly the opposite. --

"Thanks for the Divorce"

Hey Ma

Thanks for the divorce

Thanks for ending the yelling
Thanks for ending the hysterics
Thanks for ending the chaos

Thanks for showing me
That how much you love someone
Is not equal to how much of their bullshit
You're willing to put up with

Thanks for showing me
That you can't count on things getting better on their own
Sometimes you have to make them better

Thanks for letting me know
That I come from strength
And dignity

Thanks for teaching me
The value of independence
Of support systems
Of bravery
Of guts

Thanks for realizing that one bad parent
Can often cancel out one good one
And for allowing me to just have the good one

Thanks for taking all the harsh words from me
The nasty stares
And resentment
That should have gone to Dad

Thanks for not letting religion
Vows, sacred promises
Or any other bullshit
Get in the way of what your kid needed

Thanks for taking me through the storm
Without letting me hear the thunder
Or feel the rain

Thanks for not caring what your friends said
How disappointed your family would be
Or if it would be harder if another guy came along

Thanks for showing me
That you can break yourself
By trying to fix a broken thing

Thank you for the divorce
I know I've cursed you for it
Blamed you for my problems
And told you that you were a fool

You were a fool for ever getting married

But I'm standing here
Looking back on all that nonsense
And if I could
I would cover it with apologies
Making it a nice green field

But I know the hurt would still pop up
Like hills over a landscape

So instead I'll stand here
And say 'Thank you'
Thank you here and now
For saving yourself
With that divorce

Because when you did that
You saved me too, Ma

You saved me too

No comments:

Post a Comment