Sunday, October 4, 2009

Just a Ring

He left it here

His ring

He left it on the night stand

How trashy does that make me?

Pretty trashy, I'm guessing

. . . . .

I put it on
I did, I put it on
Just to see
Just to see what it felt like

I've never had a ring before
Not even a class ring
I never liked jewelry

But then it was there
And it was a simple sort of ring
So it didn't really seem like jewelry
So I put it on

. . . . .

I don't feel good about this
You should know that
I don't feel right
About any of this

But I'm in deep now
And you know...

It is what it is

. . . . .

It's just a ring
But it feels nice
Isn't that silly?

A little ring
And you feel...different

You feel like a lady
Rather than a...

Than a 'what I am'
Which is NOT a lady

It makes me feel sophisticated
It makes me feel solid
Like a more solid person

Isn't that silly?

I know, it's silly

It's just a ring

. . . . .

Think of everything this ring means
I mean, clearly it doesn't mean much
To him

Because look where he left it

But to her...

It really must mean a lot to her

It means commitment
It means love
It means support

All in one ring

How do they do that?
How do they fit all that hope
Into one little ring?

. . . . .

I can't see him anymore

. . . . .

I really can't

And what's silly is...

I know he'll just see someone else
That's how men are

But I can't own the nigh stand
He leaves his wife's hope on anymore

I just can't

. . . . .

It's just a ring
But it's nice
It's a really nice ring

And it's not mine
And it's never going to be mine

Not this one

. . . . .

Not this one anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment