Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bringing Scott Home for Christmas

Mom, I brought Scott home for Christmas, because...

Um, because...

See, the thing is...

Scott and I go to school together
And his family...

Well, he told them that he's...

That we're...

And now they don't want to have him home for Christmas

So, I...

I was going to bring him on Thanksgiving
But I was...scared

Because I didn't know if you...

I didn't know

So I left him at school, in the dorms
And then when I got back
He didn't get out of bed for three days
Because he was so lonely

And I was here
Enjoying turkey
And having a wonderful time with my family
And that...

That killed me

When I thought about it
When I thought about what a coward I was

So I decided I had to bring him home for Christmas no matter what

Mom, I love you
I love you and I hope...

I just want you to say it's okay

That it's okay that I brought Scott home with me
Because...

...I really love him too...

And I told him that it'd be okay
That I come from a really great family
Who would...Who's not like his family

But the truth is, I don't know
I don't know because I've never been brave enough to say anything
So...so maybe my family is like his family

I have no idea

But I'm hoping because...

Remember when I broke that vase
When I was a kid
And I didn't tell you until Christmas

I hid the pieces of it
And it was by the back hallway anyway
So you didn't notice

I waited and then I told you on Christmas
Because you always said--No fighting on Christmas
On Christmas everybody has to be nice

When I told you about the vase
And then told you why I waited to tell you
You laughed, and hugged me
And said--

You're right. Everybody has to be nice on Christmas.

Mom, I don't expect you to love Scott right away
But if you could just...just be nice to him...

He's...he's been through a lot and--

MOM: Adam?

ADAM: Oh, hey Mom.

MOM: What were you doing in here alone?

ADAM: Just...practicing this monologue for school.

MOM: A monologue?

ADAM: Yeah, where you...it's...

MOM: Oh, I know what that is. I went to a whole show full of them last week. A holiday show with all these monologues.

ADAM: Isn't that just a bunch of people talking to themselves?

MOM: Sometimes it feels like that's what everybody's doing.

ADAM: Yeah, I guess so. Uh, Mom--

MOM: And sometimes people would come on and talk to the other people. Then it was a nice surprise.

ADAM: Yeah.

MOM: Your boyfriend's nice.

ADAM: Huh?

MOM: Your boyfriend. He's nice.

ADAM: You mean--Scott?

MOM: Who else would I mean?

ADAM: Uh...I...

MOM: Why didn't you bring him home for Thanksgiving? Did he have to go to his family's?

ADAM: No, he...he was at school...

MOM: By himself? That's awful.

ADAM: Well, I didn't know if--

MOM: Nobody should have to be alone on the holidays. From now on, just bring him here.

ADAM: ...Okay.

MOM: When you said you were bringing a friend home, I went out and bought a few extra things. Nothing much, but that way, he'll have some presents.

ADAM: Are you--really?

MOM: We better get back inside before your father tries slicing the ham and cuts his finger off.

ADAM: So you...you know?

MOM: That he's going to cut off his finger? Honey, don't you remember Easter?

ADAM: I mean--

MOM: I know what you mean. (A beat.) And I knew about the vase too.

ADAM: You did?

MOM: That thing was hideous. Your grandmother gave it to us. Why would I have been mad?

ADAM: Sorry.

MOM: Sometimes you don't give me enough credit. Next time forget the monologue, just come talk to me.

(She smiles. They hug.)

ME: Merry Christmas, Ma.

MOM: Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment