Sunday, November 28, 2010

Eight Kinds of Beautiful

Now I know guys
Have told you that you're beautiful

But did you know that they're all wrong?

Because you're actually
Eight kinds of beautiful

Here, I'll explain, if you'll let me

At least let me get
To number five

See, you're rooftop New Year's Eve
With a breeze and a bright red pointy hat beautiful

Looking up at the sky
While the sunset rides by
Into a brand new beautiful

Sipping spiked punch and wondering
How you wound up at a party
Where they still spike the punch beautiful

Midnight kiss, 1am kiss, 2am kiss, 2:03 kiss beautiful

Dancing as you make a resolution
To dance more beautiful

You're clean slate beautiful

You're a candlelit dinner at a small table
In an otherwise poorly lit Italian restaurant beautiful

You're a shared bottle of wine, good bread,
And shared risotto beautiful

You're a red velvet cupcake beautiful
To finish it off

You're two people under one umbrella beautiful

In a rain that feels like a reward
Because it's an excuse to go back home
And slip under bedcovers with you
While a black and white movie plays on the tv beautiful

You're a snowball fight like you're not quite eight yet beautiful

You're chicken soup when you're sick
Made by somebody who wears a goofy apron beautiful

You're beautiful when you're sick
And when you smile
And when you cry
And when you try to lie
And when you surprise
And you surprise all the time

You're beautiful on a beach with a cooler full of juice packs
And wrapped up snacks
And sandwiches that taste like steak
On a summer day beautiful

You're apple picking, pumpkin choosing, hayride riding
Cider sipping, obnoxious joint costume wearing
Eyes across a party asking 'When can I go home with you?'
Head against the window, falling asleep
So you have to be carried into the house
While you wake up and laugh
At being carried over a threshold beautiful

You're Thanksgiving morning
Burnt toast and runny eggs beautiful

You're Christmas morning beautiful

Are you still with me?

Because I think I'm past number five
And I forgot to stop

You're forget the numbers beautiful

You're greater than eight beautiful

And I suppose that's why
I failed to give you a simple eight

But wait, before you run
To another man
Who will be done
With just a simple 'beautiful'

Let me try to finish my list
And laugh while I fail

While I fail completely

No comments:

Post a Comment