Saturday, November 20, 2010

Kayla

I get a little stuck on the rain
The rain part of it
The story

I can never seem to get past--

'It was raining'

I don't know why

I guess I just like that part the best

It was raining and it was after prom
And Sarah said something stupid
And I looked up

Shoot, I didn't mention where we were, did I?

See?

I'm not good at this

We were at the bowling alley

Don't ask me who started that stupid tradition
Where girls have to bowl
In their prom dresses
While the boys act like
It's the same thing as bowling in tuxedos

Which it isn't
But how could they know that?
They're stupid

Anyway, stupid is a good transition
Because Sarah was saying something stupid
Because, you know, she's Sarah
It's what she breathes

And I look past her
Because when I look past her
It's, obviously, easier to ignore her

And the first thing I saw was the rain
Outside, coming down on the parking lot
And me thinking my car was going to get washed away
And yet, thinking, that's kind of fun
And then, him

Just him

We called him Red Stranger

Later, I mean
In the limo
That my friends spent tons of money on
And they only used for about an hour, max

While I just took my car
Because why spend the money, you know?

Okay, so their parents paid for it, but still--

He was the Red Stranger
Because he had on this red t-shirt
And jeans, or something
But the red t-shirt sort of popped

And it was pouring
Why was he just in a t-shirt?

But he looked...

He looked at me

And there I am
In that awful dress
That I thought I loved until I put it on at home

(That store lighting is deceptive)

And I'm holding...a bowling ball

Kill me, right?

Seriously

But!

He keeps eye contact
And he walks up to me
And he smiles
And he says--

'Do you drive a Honda?'

And I thought--

He's into Hondas?

But I just said--'Um, yeah'

And he smiled this amazing
Charming smile
That would accelerate global warming
And he said--

'I think I just hit your car'

And that's how I got his number

I mean, it's not really romantic

The rain part is romantic

Maybe that's why I keep remembering the rain

No comments:

Post a Comment