Monday, November 15, 2010

Life's Too Short

You wanna know something?

Life's too short

It's too damn short

You want cake?
Eat cake

You want coffee?
Drink coffee

You want to dance in a fountain?
Honey, who's going to stop you?

I'm not going to stop you

Normally, I'd be too busy stopping myself

I'd sit around
Listing all the shit I shouldn't be doing

Going over it in my head
And saying

Aren't I good?
Aren't I being good?

Waiting for somebody
To deliver me a medal

Yeah, well no more of that shit

From now on, if I want ice cream
I'm eating ice cream

And if I want to drive to Boston at 3am
So I can get pancakes at the place I went to that time
I'm going to go

Because they're open all night

There's a world that goes on all the time
While I sit on a couch
And wonder about it

I'd rather be scared to death
Than bored to death

And all because two weeks ago
I opened up a paper
And saw some boy's face on it

Some boy who went camping with friends
And got lost
And died in the woods

Guess I should have read that and thought
Damn, I'm never going camping

But instead, I thought--

I bet that kid lived longer than I have
And I'm twice his age

It's too short, you know

It's just too damn short

So if I wanna eat pumpkin pie in June
And watch Frosty in July
And go swimming in the ocean
In the middle of December

I'm gonna friggin' do it

When I die, I'm gonna die smiling

Smiling at how much I did with this gorgeous little life
And marveling at how fast
The damn thing went by

No comments:

Post a Comment