Tuesday, November 9, 2010

If I Had Said Yes, Would You Have Stayed?

So the choice was Philadelphia

You and Philadelphia
Or nothing

I resented the choice

Or maybe I resented the options

You, linked arm in arm
With a city you've never even been to

Because it was an 'opportunity'
Because it was a 'better life'

For you
A better life for you

I like my life
My life is fine

This is the place we've arrived at

We've reached a destination
Where your life and my life
Can no longer coexist
Despite the fact
That we both love each other

We love each other--conditionally

Or maybe the right word is geographically

We don't love each other
Past our desired geography

And if I had said 'Yes'
Would you have stayed?

Would you have decided
That you actually didn't need to go to Philadelphia

Was this some sort of test
To see if I would follow you anywhere?

Because nobody follows anybody
Anywhere
Anymore

We come from a generation of people
Who were told to put your dream first
And everything else second

We weren't taught to adjust our dreams
To adapt to the people we find ourselves in love with
To move our markers on the map
According to where the person we sleep next to
Will feel most complete

No, I'm not following you
And you're not following me

So how does this work?

Can you tell me that?

Can you tell me how this works?

If I had said yes, would you have stayed?

There was no compromising
There isn't, when you're talking about location
There's no middle between here
And six hours from here

So what would you have done?

If I had said, Yes, I love you enough to follow you
Then what I'm wondering is

Would you still have made me do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment