Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tragic Monkey Love

He was a wily one

That's the main thing I'd say about him
He's wily

They call him Butter
Because he likes Butter
But I just called him Mister

He'd walk up to me
Pick at my hair
Like he sees the gorillas do
In the next pen over

I told him they're picking for bugs
And that I don't have any bugs
Because of my fastidious nature
But he kept right on doing it

And I really didn't mind very much

Hard to mind
When he was putting his hand in mind
Leading me behind Grey Stone Wall #2
So the little kids on field trips wouldn't see us being affectionate

We weren't interested in being a Youtube video

Oh yes, I know all these terms

Our handlers are people, after all
And people talk
And they talk to us

I listen, Mister didn't

He called them Johnny Two Legs or Sally Stand Up
But it was just his way of teasing them
And they didn't him understand anyway
So what harm was there?

I heard them when they talked about him being sick
I heard them, but...

I didn't say anything to Mister
Because he didn't know

He knew that he couldn't run as fast
Or climb Brown Tree #4 as much
But he thought he was just getting older

The last time we were together
It was nighttime

I think they wanted to take him that day
But the handler I call Chris
Saw the look on my face
And told the other handlers
They would take Mister in the morning instead
Because he'd be in a better mood after a good night's sleep

I think he looked at me and understood
That I needed to say good-bye
And for that, I'm grateful

We sat up, Mister and I
And talked about what we think
The rest of the zoo must be like

I've heard talk about a machine that makes candy out of cotton
And somewhere beyond that, handlers say there are lions

I'd like to see a lion
Not up close, of course
But perhaps standing outside the pen
With the 3rd graders
Looking in

I told that to Mister
And Mister told me he'd like to keep seeing me
And I thought that was sweet

He rested his head against me
And went to sleep

I heard one of the handlers say that we were in love
Mister and I
And that what was happening was tragic

Because they were hoping we'd mate and breed
And now they'd have to find another adult male
And the odds that I'd mate with him would be small

They're right, of course
Normally they would be small
But I'll mate with whomever they bring
Because I want to give the handlers what they want
They've been so good to me

And I'd like a child

Don't ask me why
But I feel like even with another father
Any child of mine
Would still look a little like Mister

And because of that, I don't think our love is all that tragic

That, and he went with me that night
In his sleep
With his head resting in my lap

I told you he was wily

You never could predict
What he was going to do

I know it's not a happy ending

But for two simple monkeys in a zoo
It's not bad

It's really not

No comments:

Post a Comment