Friday, November 19, 2010

The Bus That Leaves for Bethlehem Tonight

You never played a guitar before, have you?
Didn't think so

Wanna try?

'kay.

I never talked to a woman before
So I'm guessing we're equal

Don't believe me?

Good girl
You shouldn't

Soon as you learn not to trust men
Sooner you'll be a woman

Well, if you're a woman
You're the tiniest woman I ever saw

Can't be more than fourteen

Fifteen?

Well, I'm sorry

Guess my detector's off today
Must be the cold

What's your name?

That's nothing like Mary, you know

Well, when you meet a young girl
Waiting for the bus that leaves for Bethlehem
You'd expect her to be named Mary

Don't mind me
I'm a musician
I'm always looking for an allegory

So who do you know up in Bethlehem?

Got an aunt or something?

Well, none of my business

I have a wife in Bethlehem
She's, uh...

It's been awhile

Yeah, well
When I said 'wife' I meant--wishful thinking, I guess

Supposed to have a baby tonight
Her, not me
Not mine, though

I'm going to raise it
Because she's my girl
Marry her
Raise her kid
Tell everybody it's mine
Even if it comes out
With a halo around its head
Doesn't matter

Doesn't matter if it's mine or not
I'm sure it wouldn't pick me for a father
So who cares if I would pick it
For my kid?

If the kid wants a ragtag with a guitar
And a five o'clock attitude
Then we'll do just fine

Sometimes in the world
You gotta look at what's simple

And when a kid needs a father
That's simple

The world could use a little more simplicity, don't you think?

Sure you don't know how to play guitar?

'Cause you look like you could play a song, girl

You look like you do

No comments:

Post a Comment