Friday, November 19, 2010

The Day the Doorbell Rang

Hello

Mr. Masterson, is it?

Hello Mr. Masterson

I'd imagine you're looking for my mother.

She's upstairs.

If you'd like to see her, you can go upstairs

She'll be there

But I'm not sure she'll be able to chat with you just now

Well, she's sick, Mr. Masterson

Very sick

Why don't you come in?

Would you like to come in?

I have peach lemonade somewhere

I just put it down

The whole pitcher

I'm very forgetful these days

Yes, right in

Have a seat on the couch

I'll go check with my mother

Make sure she's up for having visitors

She's not well, Mr. Masterson

She's really not

But she does like visitors

From time to time

She's a very particular sort of woman.

How do you know her?

. . . . .

Yes, I thought that was the case

Well, anyway, wait here

. . . . .

...well, I know but...

...I can't just...

...Mother, I don't...

...fine, then...

...fine...


. . . . .

Mr. Masterson, she heard the doorbell

We haven't heard it in awhile

At least, she hasn't

I hear it from time to time

The creditors, the nosy neighbors

The solicitors

I hear it, but she never does

Until today

She heard it today

. . . . .

She doesn't want to receive you

But then, I don't suppose she has much of a choice, does she?

Tell me

Is there anything she could have done

To prevent you from coming so soon?

Well, I realize she's not a well woman

Or a particularly young one

But she's younger than most, isn't she?

...I see

Well, I suppose that's how it has to be then

No, I've already said my good-byes

She thinks I'm turning you away

But then, she doesn't understand the nature of the visit

Not really

I tried to explain to her, but--

She's been a rich woman all her life

And somehow she thinks that entitles her to things

Things that money can't wrap itself around

Even if it wanted to

Would you at least like some lemonade first?

All right then

. . . . .

She told me to go with you

Instead of her

She said I should go

That I...

I'm sad here most of the time anyway

I don't really have any urge to stay

That's true

And she, despite her quality of living

Seems determined to cling to this place at all costs

Even at the cost of having me go with you in her place

What do I think about that?

I wasn't aware it was actually an option

Is it?

Yes, I suppose you wouldn't really mind, would you?

A woman is a woman

I'm no more or less than she is, in the grand scheme of things

Although I'm not as pretty as she is

But then again, I'm not as tough either

So perhaps I'd be easier to deal with

And in that way, I'd be more appealing?

I'm not trying to stall, by the way

As soon as you'd like me to shut up, just say so

I just don't get the opportunity to talk to anyone much

And so I tend to ramble when I do have...

Well, never mind

So...

Would you...prefer me?

Oh

Well...

I'm not sure whether or not I'm relieved, but...

Choice?

Well, I...

My choice?

I haven't had many choices

She's made most of them for me

So, I suppose...

. . . . .

Go get her

If she puts up a fight, just do what you have to do

And if you wouldn't mind

Please let yourself out

I don't believe I'll be here when you get back

No comments:

Post a Comment