Saturday, November 27, 2010

This Perfect World

A few doors down is the circus

That's right

I have my own private circus

That performs three shows a night

If you like that sort of thing

Watch your step

The zebras like to nap on the floor

And I let them, because they're zebras

And zebras like sleeping on Italian marble

On your right is the watch room

It's either the room where I keep all my watches
Or the room where everybody watches each other

I can't remember which it is

I really need to invest in some signs

Oh dear, the ceiling is falling again

Could you, by any chance, lift up your arms

The ceiling isn't very heavy

Sometimes all you have to do is hold your arms up
And it'll stay up just fine

This is what happens
When you have a mansion made out of bed sheets

I keep telling my mother
She needs to get me some poles
But she just pats me on the head
And tells me to go play outside

The woman is slipping

Oh, it's awful
But that's all a part of growing older, I'm afraid

I'm going to be five next week
Childhood is running away from me
Like the cat
When it knows I'm holding a squirt gun

I plan on putting Mother in the East Wing
Once the doctor tells me it's safe to move her

The East Wing has the billiard room
And my father is named Bill
So I'm assuming they'll stay there together
But who knows?

Just another thing to worry about

Yesterday the boiler went
And tomorrow is my boiling day
So I don't know what I'm going to do

Oh, don't mind me
I just like hearing myself talk sometimes

I just love this perfect world

Downstairs I can hear the television
And the vacuum cleaner
And the sound of footsteps
Going up and down the stairs
Traveling all throughout the house

And I don't have to worry about any of that

I just remain here with my zebras
And my watches
And my circus

And it's lovely

It really is

I'm supposed to be asleep
That's what they think I do here--sleep

Ha!  As if anybody has time to sleep
With all this majesty to worry about

Oh dear

There goes the ceiling again

Hands up, please

Hands up

No comments:

Post a Comment