Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Hopes and Dreams of Molly Ringwald

My Top Ten Hopes and Dreams
By Molly K. Ringwald

10.  Growing up, I'd hoped to be an ice skater.  I used to go down to this pond where I lived and pretend I was ice skating.  I grew up near Sacramento so the pond was never really frozen, but I used to wade in it up to my ankles and then just sort of lunge around the shallow area imagining Diana Ross and the Supremes playing while I did axles or whatever they're called.  Sometimes I watch ice skating on tv and my ankles suddenly feel cold.

9.  I always wanted to live in Fresno because it sounded like it had an unfinished name.  Like, it should be Saint Fresno or San Fresno or San Franfresno, but not just Fresno.  It sounds shortened, abbreviated, somehow not-quite-whole.  I identify with that.

8.  I turned down both Ghost and Pretty Woman.  I'm not sad I turned either of those down, because Ghost was really scary at certain points, and Richard Gere is really scary all the time.  I did really want to be in The Mighty Ducks though, but they never offered it to me.  I don't know who I could have been.  Didn't Emilio Estevez have a girlfriend in the movie?  I guess that wouldn't have been a really big part, but I wouldn't have cared.  Maybe it's the ice skater in me.

7.  Of all my co-stars, I'd say I had the biggest crush on Dennis Hopper.  I'm sad that we'll never know whether or not we could have made something out of that.

6.  People keep telling me I was Teaching Mrs. Tingle, but for the life of me, I can't remember anything about that movie.  Hopefully I didn't play Mrs. Tingle, because that's a really dumb name for a character.  I once had a dog named Tingle, and he ended up eating a piece of electrical tape and losing his leg, so I really don't think I would take any role that involved me being named 'Tingle.'

5.  I'd to be on Time Magazine again, except this time, I would wear different earrings.

4.  Sometimes I have a dream that I get a phone call from the producer of Annie--the one that cast me as Kate--and he says 'I should have cast you as Annie, Molly.  I'm so sorry.  I have to kill myself now.'  And I go to say 'No, don't.  It's really not a big deal.'  But then he does it anyway.  Then I go ice skating.

3.  I hope that if they do a Facts of Life reunion movie, I'll be included.  And I hope they use Cloris Leachman since I never got to meet her.  And I hope they don't use Nancy McKeon, because I never really saw what the big deal was about her.  And I hope in the movie, me and Tutti are best friends.  And I hope we find out that my character got married to Dennis Hopper after she left the show.  That's what I hope.

2.  Last night I had a dream that I was in The Breakfast Club, except I was playing Ally Sheedy's part, and she was playing Judd Nelson's part, and he was playing Anthony Michael Hall's part, and he was playing my part.  Emilio Estevez was playing himself.

1.  I think Emilio Estevez might be my long-lost brother, and I think that's why I keep having dreams about him, and I think that's why I even though I wanted to be in The Mighty Ducks and I probably could have been if I had called the producers, I didn't, because I was afraid they would make me be Emilio's girlfriend and if he's my long-lost brother, that would be weird.

Sometimes your dreams criss-cross over each other like the latticework on a cherry pie.

Life's funny that way.

Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment