Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I Want to Fix It, Not Lament It

I'm not planning on mourning it
Because it's not dead yet

It's still tinkering
It's still...it's going...

NO!

I am NOT buying a new car

I don't NEED a new car

I need you to stop TELLING me
To buy a new car

I had this car when I drove cross-country
With two girlfriends after college

We went from Boston to San Diego and back
And I didn't get so much as a flat tire

I had this car when my piece of shit first boyfriend
Thought he could break up with me at the Burger Shack
And then just drive off

I ran him down in this car
Like I was Gene Hackman in The French Connection

I had this car when I went into labor
On the freeway
And somehow
This car got me through the worst traffic jam
In history
And right to the front door of the hospital

I was holding our son
While the ambulance was still back waiting
Back the onramp

So no, I have no intention
Of calling time of death
On this car

I had this car before I had a house
A husband, kids, a full-time job
And anything that was MINE

This car was the first thing that was MINE

And now, nothing is just MINE

So I am KEEPING this car

I want to fix it
Not lament it

We're going to take my baby to a mechanic
Just like it took me to the hospital

And I don't care if they have to rig it to a lift
And have lightning hit it
Like the Bride of Frankenstein

This car WILL be fixed

Now get out--and push

No comments:

Post a Comment