Monday, November 22, 2010

The Not So Vegas Love Story

Hi, this is my husband

His name?

Oh, I don't have any idea what his name is

It really doesn't matter

I just need you to marry us

Well, I've only known him for about--

What, honey?

Twelve hours?

Yeah, that sounds about right

You see, we got married in Reno last night

That's the thing

I absolutely refuse to get married in Reno

I was on my way to Vegas
Where I fully intended to get shitfaced
With my friend Crazy Beth

As you can imagine, Crazy Beth is rather crazy
And when I'm around her
Crazy things happen

So I did take into consideration that by Monday
I might be married to a complete stranger
But my car broke down in Reno
And I made the mistake of going into a hotel
And having a few drinks at the bar

That's when I met the mister here
And what do you know?

We're married

The thing is, I refuse to marry a stranger in Reno
That's just tacky

So I woke him up today
After I realized who he was
And what I'd done
And I picked up my car from the mechanic I found
And drove us here to Vegas
So that we could have a proper
Disgraceful wedding

Crazy Beth is in jail
So she couldn't be here today
But I have her on speakerphone

She gets a phone call, you know

And she used it for this
Isn't that sweet?

She's my maid of honor

I mean, as much as someone can be
When they're locked up
For peeing on a craps table

Hey, at least she didn't crap on the table

I mean, considering they call it a craps table
You'd have to say they were asking for it

Hmm?

Oh no, I have no intention of staying married to this man

The whole reason I came to this place
Is because you do instant annulments
And I'm going to want one of those
As soon as you're done remarrying us

Don't get me wrong
He's a lovely man

And by lovely, I mean
When I woke up next to him
He was unconscious, smelled like moldy potpourri
And was still incredibly attractive

But still, this can't last

It's one thing to get married in Vegas
After a night of drunken passion
But to get married in Reno, then remarried in Vegas
Then stay married is just not what I had in mind

I mean, I'm from Tucson for godsakes
We just don't do that sort of thing

Hmm?

Well, I suppose I do like him a little bit

He did give me gas money to get here
And he's offered to pay for Crazy Beth's bail
Although I'm not sure how much that will be

Is peeing on a craps table a felony or a misdemeanor?

Keep in mind, while she was peeing
She was singing 'Me and Bobby McGee'
So that might upgrade the crime

Love?

At first sight?

I suppose it's possible

Although when I first sighted him at the hotel bar
All I remember thinking is--

I bet that stupid guy is really good in bed.

But then again, I'm not getting any younger
And he's hot enough to make most of my girlfriends jealous
Which is mainly what I'm looking for in a partner

Hmm...

This is tricky

You've really given me a lot to think about here

This isn't the Vegas love story I was expecting

But maybe that's what makes it so perfect?

I'll tell you what

We're going to keep our Reno marriage for now

I'll bring him back to Tucson with me
Figure out what his name is
And go from there

After we bail out Crazy Beth, of course

If it doesn't work out
Then we'll come back here
And get that second wedding certificate slash annulment

Sound good?

Excellent

Now I just need to figure out
What I'm going to tell my boyfriend
When I get back home

No comments:

Post a Comment