Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I Can't Break the Binky Habit

I know he's too old
I know, I know
I KNOW

But he likes it

He likes the binky

He is ATTACHED to the binky

And when I take it away from him...

Screaming, the word screaming
Does not even BEGIN to describe
What occurs

Sounds issue from his little six-month-old mouth
That spoil all the milk in my fridge

So I let him keep the binky

Which, I'm aware, makes me an awful mother

And--what also makes me a bad mother?

I dream about locking my screaming child
In a room
With the same people
Who give me looks
When I give him the binky
To see how long they last

I just feel like I'm constantly taking things AWAY from him

The breastfeeding
The baby toys
The crib
The constant attention

His entire childhood is one big removal after another

No wonder he clings to the binky

Everything else he loves is being pulled away from him
On a monthly basis!

So I have decided
That I have lost the war

I can't break the binky habit

And honestly, who cares?

It's just one more boast
To throw around during Mommy Circle

Ohhh, well MY son's off the binky?

Well, MY son uses the potty already

Well, MY son just finished War and Peace

It's INFURIATING

My son can't have conversations
He can't drive a tractor
He isn't affiliated with a political party
And I'm PROUD of that

I'm proud of him

Dammit, I'm proud of myself

And if he wants to go to college sucking on that binky
Then so be it

He's my baby, you know?

He's my kid

Can't he just me a kid?

Or do I have to start taking that away too?

No comments:

Post a Comment