Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Christmas in the Car

Hi honey, it's me

I'm calling from...my car

See, uh, Mr. McKenzie said I had to get the Tanner file done
Before Christmas, and we've just been so swamped that I...

I'm so sorry, honey

I wanted to spend our first Christmas with you
So badly

And I tried telling Mr. McKenzie that
But he didn't want to hear it

So now I'm sitting in my car
Instead of in front of a fire with you
Watching 'It's a Wonderful Life' on the television

I never thought I'd be this guy
I never thought I'd be the husband who works on Christmas

I can't believe anybody is the husband that works on Christmas

But, here I am

I have to get the reports over at the warehouse an hour and a half away
Bring them back to Corporate
And spend all night going over them

Which means spending most of Christmas in my car

You know, I remember what my Mom told me
When I was a senior in high school
And I wanted to spend Christmas with my friend and his parents
Because they were going to Jamaica

She said--'If you live to be one hundred, you're still only going to get one hundred Christmases, and you're going to want every single one of them as soon as you realize you're not getting anymore.'

But my Mom never had student loans to pay off
Or work her way up in a firm that only values people who sacrifice
Things they should never be asked to sacrifice
And she didn't have to worry about saving
For her kid's college fund because it costs so much more now

I thought of all those things
And then I realized...

She was right anyway

So I quit

And when I said I was sitting in my car
I meant, I was sitting in my car
Outside our house
Waiting for you to tell me
That you're not mad
That I was willing to sacrifice my job
Just so I could see my wife open up her Christmas present

So? Are you mad?

. . . . .

Yes, ma'am

I'll be right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment