Monday, September 7, 2009

Are You Going to Break My Heart, Kid?

Are you going to break my heart, huh?

Are you going to make me old
By continually being younger than me?

Are you going to make me paranoid?
When you're seven minutes past curfew
On a Saturday night?

Are you going to make me grey
Are you going to earn every formerly brown hair
Are you going to burn every photo of you
Before the age of two
In case I ever decide to embarrass you
In front of all your friends?

Are you going to hate my music?
Are you going to refuse to learn to play my guitar?
Are you going to star in every school play
Then toss acting away in favor of...

...Math?

Are you going to do it, kid?
Are you going to break my heart?

Are you going to wait
For what seems like hours
Between each breath
While I watch you sleep

Are you going to keep getting up every hour
Making me hold you
Until you close your eyes again?

Are you going to bring home some boy
Who joyrides and lies
And clicks his teeth when he talks?

Are you going to go to prom
Dominating the court
Reminding me that I never went to mine?

Are you going to be the kid
I don't know how to raise?

Are you going to make holidays
A parade of outbursts
And terse ingratitude
Until you're twenty-two?

Is that what you're going to do?

Are you going to marry some guy
Who doesn't love you as much as I do
And honeymoon on an island
Where my studies tell me
Over three couples have disappeared
Over the last forty years alone?

Are you going to have kids of your own
Denying me my denial
When I say you're not grown
And when your Mom's gone
Are you going to leave me alone

With nothing but my guitar?

Are you going to do that, kid?
Are you going to head out
Of this beautiful body
And become more than a sonogram photo
Held lightly in my palm

Are you going to take this calm fellow
And undo his mellow-ness with one strong

Solid
Long

Cry?

Are you going to take me from 'guy' to 'dad?'
Is it really going to be that bad?

Are you going to do it?
Are you going to break my heart, kid?

I got a feeling that you are

And I gotta tell you
I can't wait
For you to start

No comments:

Post a Comment