Friday, September 25, 2009

From Up Here I See Everything

When I'm up here
I can see dry land

I can take in the view
Of two lovers on the ocean
Dancing on the deck of a yacht
Imagining a life in Fiji
Where they'll drink coconut milk
And achieve perfect tans

When I'm up here
I can let myself relax
As 'just past three' rolls by me
And I feel the pressure
Of weekend socializing
Slowly evaporating
Out of my skin

When I'm up here
I'm above the nonsense down below
That threatens to drown me
In its low-lying trying times
Of the Bad and the Worse
And the cursed ground
And it's people
Seem miniscule for once

It's a joy, really
To be so high for once

My whole life I've been nailed
Stuck to the surface layer
And to be above it
Makes it easier to love it
And easier to get over it
All the things that used to bother me

How do you hate someone
As small as an ant?

How do you fret over a hurt
That's shrunken to a thimble's size
And strains your eyes
In its tiny state?

How do you remember the date
When the dates go by so fast
And nothing seems permanent
Meant to last or stick

I think I'll stick around up here
Because down there I don't know anything
I'm blind to so many things

And up here
Up here I see everything

Up here it's really
Really clear

No comments:

Post a Comment