Sunday, September 27, 2009

Identical Pasts

You wanna know why we fight?

Because we wake up
And see two different kinds of light
Going over two different kinds of rooms
And shake off different dreams
Or different nightmares

And we walk into two different worlds
Each seeming like a movie version of the other
A thin line running down the screen
Separating what I have in front of me
And what you see

And wouldn't it be easier
If we had lived identical pasts?

But putting two people in the same house
With the same parents
And the same set of walls
Still isn't enough
To make everything the same

You remember me being difficult
You remember me mouthing off
You remember me not saying 'Thank you' enough

I remember getting slapped too often
I remember not being the priority
Depending on what guy
Walked through the door
On any given night

I remember you showing up
To be my parent
A bit too late

You remember having more time
You remember hours upon hours
Of make-up time
That you could use
Once the guys
Stopped coming through the door

You remember there being more of everything
More time
More chances
More forgiveness

I remember walking out out the back door
While you were looking at the front
Hoping it would open one more time

We speak two different languages
We hear two different things
We don't just have different opinions
We look at a mirror
And we see two different things

And I'm sorry it's that way
But I'm not going to try and change
What you cemented so long ago

I'm not going to chisel away
At the statues you made of us
Back when you were okay
With things not being okay

I know it could be easy
It could be so easy
If we had lived identical pasts

But you went one way
And I went another

And there's no point
Where those two roads meet

No comments:

Post a Comment