Thursday, September 3, 2009

What He Whispered

If there were a thousand steps
Leading to you
I'd take each one
Slow and steady
Trying to outrun the moment
When I have to stand before you
And risk the thought of you
Sending me back down
Without you

If there were a thousand nights
And I could spend just one with you
I'd want to sleep through every other night
And only see the stars you wish on
And only see the moon you dance under
And only see the light
That comes from the inner recesses
Of your red and white striped nightdress
And I'd keep sleeping
Until that night
And then sleep when it was done

If there were a thousand people
Surrounding us
And each had the potential
To teach me something new
I'd lean into you and make you whisper
The same three truths
Over and over
Into my ear

You're here
I'm happy
I'm happy because
You're here

If there were a thousand things
I could whisper back into your ear
I'd only stay there
In the place between your face and hair
And let the soft skin of your cheek
Turn a weak man weaker
And not speak but rather wait
And see if I could make up anything
That would equate what this is

If I had a thousand words
I'd need a hundred times that
To beat back the rush of adjectives
Clamoring to live on a page
That stages a description of you

And if I could do anything
I'd whisper just the right thing
To make you step down those steps with me
Past the thousand people
Crowding the streets with fanfare
And dare to take you back to sleep

And hope to keep you
Hope to keep you here
With me

No comments:

Post a Comment