Thursday, March 31, 2011

Screwing You Up

I'm most afraid
Of screwing you up

I'm afraid I'm going to give you
All my bad stuff

My vision
My temper
My bad attitude

How do I know they won't dissolve
And reappear in you?

How would I help you if they did?
When I can't even beat them myself?

Not just the stuff on my list
But the stuff I don't even think of as being wrong

How can I hand that over to you?

You deserve money
Lots of money
And talent
And advantages

You deserve to start out ahead
Not behind

I sit and I look at your mom
Who I know is going to give you
Everything she's got
And it's all going to be good

But then I look in the mirror
And I worry all my shit
Is going to cancel out that gold

So just be your person, you know?

Do your own thing

And whatever that is
I'll be glad

I'll be glad
It's something you did for yourself
And not something
Somebody else handed to you
To improve on
Or make better
Or fix

You don't have to fix anything
I promise

I can't promise that I won't screw you up
Some other way

But I promise that you can walk as far as you want
In any direction

And it'll be okay

It'll be okay with me

No comments:

Post a Comment