Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Penny and the Pool

I'm not going in the pool
But I appreciate the pool
I approve of the pool's existence

It's just...

It's just not my thing

I like sitting by it
I like laying by it
I like knowing it's there

All of this pleases me

But the pool itself

Well, I'd rather just look

It's sort of like a good lover

You don't need to interact with them
You just need to know they're there

It's also sort of like a birthday cake
When the frosting is perfect

You hate to ruin it
By diving into it

It's also sort of like...

Well, it's like a lot of things

I imagine the water feels cold
And the bottom of the pool feels rough
And the deep end is too deep
And the shallow end is so shallow
That most of my body will be out of the pool
And what's the point of being in a pool
If most of you is out of it?

I think about these things

And thinking about them
And then thinking about going into the pool
Gives me anxiety

So I prefer to just lay here
And relax
Knowing I don't have to go in

And in that way the pool becomes like a painting
A beautiful painting that I can appreciate

Nobody expects you to interact with paintings
They just ask you to enjoy their beauty

That's what my pool is like

Yes, it's exactly like that

No comments:

Post a Comment