Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Just Keep Holding My Hand

Only took you six years to get here, huh?

Saw me sitting in amber sunlight
And suddenly it strikes
Like lightning

And that's okay

I didn't mind waiting

Well, I didn't mind...much

If your head wound up here
On my shoulder
Then no, I didn't mind

See that spot on the lake out there
Where the sunlight goes down
But it doesn't come up?

The spot where even the swans don't swim?

They say two lovers drowned out there
Years and years ago

And they say if you have a wish
Regarding somebody you love
That's the spot you wish on

There's a man out there fishing right now

He's been throwing his line
Right down into that spot
Hoping to pull out a miracle

His wife's sick, real sick
And looking at him
Makes you wonder
If there's anything in your life
You should be doing
That you're not

I could say you're a fool
For taking six years
To realize
We should have been sitting here
Since the beginning

But maybe I'm a fool too
For not pressing the issue

Maybe I'm a fool
For throwing my wishes
Into a spot on a lake
Instead of in your ear

Either way, we're here

Just keep your head on my shoulder
Just keep your eyes on that spot
Just keep holding my hand

And six years
Won't seem
All that long

No comments:

Post a Comment