Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Eighteen Names for Paradise

1.  Eating pizza on a Tuesday night while you do your homework next to me.

2.  Seeing you for the first time since last period in the library.

3.  Taking photos of you walking on the beach while I watch mere feet from you.

4.  Having you be the first boy to tell me I'm pretty and believing it.

5.  Finding out that the last book I read is the book that you're reading right now.

6.  When you puff up your face and wiggle your ears so you look like a clownfish.

7.  The blue jelly beans and the red M&M's and the cherry lifesavers.

8.  Hearing you say you love your mom even though it's not a cool thing to say.

9.  Watching you win graciously and lose quietly every basketball game.

10.  My dog likes you and my dog doesn't like anybody but me and you.

11.  You taught me to put something under everything I do to support it.

12.  Next year when we're eighteen I'm going to tell you that I love you for real.

13.  I imagine each year of your life like another name for paradise.

14.  I call you more things than eskimo snow and candy brands and Disneyland.

15.  I think you ask me things just to make me feel smart when I know the answer.

16.  And I feel okay being goofy in front of you without feeling dumb.

17.  Let's skip prom and go to that beach and I can walk with you this time, okay?

18.  I wrote this laughing to myself because I saw you writing your list first.

No comments:

Post a Comment