Monday, March 21, 2011

Sunflowers

Madam, I would like
To ask you
On a date

Now, before you say 'No'
Or 'Yes'
Or 'Well...'
Or tell me you have a husband
A boyfriend
A baby
A roommate
A person you've seen before
Who you might see again

I would like to offer you--

A sunflower

Now

I realize a sunflower
Just not have the power
To make a woman
Love a man

But it can brighten a day
Levitate a depression
Erase an irritation
Irrigate a creative dry spell
And tell you without telling you
That I might be who you're looking for

If you say "No"
And not because of a marriage
Or a relationship
Or a lack of attraction
Or overall interest

You may keep the sunflower

If you say "No"
Because you're nervous
About dating a man
Who speaks in short, sharp lines
With a salesman's pitch
Then allow me to switch
To a more subdued tone

I would like to buy you dinner.  I would like to take you out somewhere for a night.  I believe we would have a nice time with each other.  At the very least, we could become good friends.  I have no motives or intentions, except that I'd like give you the gift of a carefree night...and sunflowers.

See?

I am capable of being far less creepy
Than you thought I could be

If you say "Yes"
I will give you sunflowers
For every "Yes" you supply

"Yes, you may hold my hand."
"Yes, you may have this dance."
"Yes, you may make me laugh, you crazy man."

For every agreement
A sunflower

Not an elegant flower
Not at all

Too colorful and bold
To be called just simple
Or pretty

But a flower
That makes people happy

This is what I've found

So here is your sunflower, madam
Here is your smile for the day

I'd like to give you more

--Sunflowers and smiles

But that is up to you

And if you say 'No'
For whatever reason
Even ones you can't tell--

Well, at least you got a sunflower

So you see

How can you lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment