Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Night With a Backstreet Boy

A.J. took off his sunglasses
Then put them back on
Then took them off
Then put them back on

He was wearing the black shirt
From the 'I'll Never Break Your Heart' video
And the cowboy hat from when he tried to be that alto ego guy
But it was embarrassing
So he stopped

I made him sing 'I Want It That Way' to me
Over and over again
While outside
Snow covered the barbecue parties

He went around signing the posters on my wall
Of him and the boys, but mostly just him

He was always my favorite

Brian was too nice
Kevin was too old
Nick was too young
Howie was too eh

But A.J., the bad boy

He was mine

He was always mine

And for a night we eat eighth grade pizza
And for a few hours we watch TRL
And for mere moments I'm a kid again
And he's a success
And we're living in 1998
And it feels...

Fantastic

He lays down with me
On my comforter
And I show him where he'd be on my ceiling
When I was falling asleep
Reciting the lyrics to 'Shape of My Heart'
Instead of the lines to the play I was in during my junior year

Something Shakespeare, not one of the good ones

And A.J. is sad because this all happened too late
And I'm sad because the posters are gone
And TRL is a rerun on a day when they retired a Blink 182 video
And my Backstreet Boy is nowhere near me
In actuality

But if I close my eyes
It's dark enough
For me to be
Anybody
Any age
Any day
Any night

And I can feel all right
Just by playing that old CD
Suddenly there's meaning
To being
This lonely

No comments:

Post a Comment