Friday, March 4, 2011

I Was in the House When the House Burned Down

Did you think I was somewhere else
When the shit hit the fan?

Did you not see me here
Wading in it
Watching it
Waiting for it to go

Waiting for you to do something about it

Finally rolling up my sleeves
And rolling down my upbringing
Picking up a shovel
And saying 'Let's get this cleaned up'

I may have showed up a princess
But I'm standing here a pissed off princess
With her tiara stuck somewhere in the mud

Now you can say this was all you
This was all in your head
In your dreams
In your little bag of problems
That you conveniently keep in the cupboard
That I'm not supposed to know about
Or I'm supposed to ignore

But what you've been ignoring
Is that I haven't been ignoring shit

I am up to it
I am UP to IT
To HERE

So don't talk to me
Like I get to live behind a glass wall
While you strike a match
Up against the curtains

Like I'll be safe
No matter what you do

Like I'm immune to you
And your actions
And your bullshit
And your lies
And your fire

Don't tell me I didn't get burned

And don't tell me
I don't know what's going on in my house
Because, sweetheart
There is no more house

I was in the motherfucker
When the house burned down

Now get a shovel
We have ashes to bury

No comments:

Post a Comment