Saturday, March 5, 2011

I Liked You So Much More When I Didn't Know You

I like you so much more
When I didn't know you

When you were a name mentioned by friends
A picture I could look at
That didn't talk
That didn't converse
Or attempt to converse

That didn't run away with logic
And refuse to give it back

I liked it when I thought your voice
Would be be deep and slow

I imagined you putting on your words
Like bracelets

I thought we'd talk about ice hockey
And Muppets

I thought you'd love Muppets

Who doesn't love Muppets?

You don't love Muppets

You might be evil

I liked you when you were a concept
Like trigonometry
Or cooking risotto while stoned

You seemed like such a good idea at the time

I liked you when you were a piece of notebook paper
That I could write my dreams on

Then when someone passed me you in class
All folded up like a sweater
Covered in blue and red ink hearts

I unfolded you
I read you
I passed you back

I should have left you on my desk
Untouched, unfettered by my expectations
Your little hearts smiling at me
And me
Smiling back

Not knowing anything
Never knowing
I could never be
That happy again

No comments:

Post a Comment