Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The End of Something That Could Have Been

Let me give you the title first

The end of something that could have been

Now let me give you the who

You

You're the who

You're who I should be with
By the end of this monologue

But I won't

By the end of this monologue
Nothing will have changed

I will be in a living room
And you will be
In bed
I'm assuming
Because it's 1am on a Wednesday
Wait, sorry
Thursday

But you're the who

Title?

The end of something that could have been

Good, right?

Good title

And it's not mine

But it's still a damn good title

The when is not now
It is not 1am on a Thursday

I'm going to use another when

A when when we were together
In a car, on a quiet street
On a Friday night
In your car
Cracking each other up
And sobering up
And trying to make that decision
That key decision
About whether or not
We would do one thing and be friends
And do something else and be more

I'm not sure what I could have done
To help sway the decision
The way I wanted it to go

A part of me feels like I didn't do anything
And so I'm here
In a living room
Not your living room
But a living room
At 1am on a Wednesday
Nowhere near you at all

That's the where

The how could be a lot of things

How could I let that moment slip by
How could I not try to fix it now
How could I prevent myself from getting in a car every night
And driving to your door
Laying myself down on your front steps
And commit to staying there
Until you agree to stop walking over me
And notice that I'm here
And I'm crazy
And we'd work

We would work

And the what?

What am I doing writing a monologue
Hoping you'll see it
And say 'That's about me?'

What am I doing reliving
Instead of living?

What's going to happen five years from now
And why can't it happen tomorrow?

What am I doing?
What am I doing?
What am I doing?

Well, it was a good title

It was a damn good title

No comments:

Post a Comment