Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Keep The Plates Spinning

So I gotta worry about you now too, huh?
Do I?

Not enough

Not enough
That we haven't heard from your sister in a week
And when she left here
She was going in and out
Like a boomerang

Could be half-dead in a ditch right now
Could be in some halfway house
Like the one we found her in last time
Laying on a hardwood floor
People stepping over her
Like she was nothing
But a dirty carpet

Pulled her out of so many jails
And cars
And crackdens
It doesn't even phase me anymore

Doesn't even phase me
That my little girl
Is a hollowed out junkie
Who can't even stand up anymore
Without taking a hit to do it

And now you

Now I gotta worry about you comin' home too
Comin' home three hours later
Than what we talked about
Like it ain't nothin'

You think I'm so worried about your sister
That I wouldn't notice?

Or you think I need more things
To worry about?

Everyone's saying I gotta be careful
I don't neglect you
So you don't turn out
Messed up
Just like she did

Well I don't have time to be careful

I love you both
But if one of you gets sick
How am I supposed to not give more to that one?

Don't you understand that?
Tell me you understand that

If you were sick
It'd be the same way with you

But don't go thinkin'
You're going to start falling apart like she is
And get extra attention

Because so help me
I'll wash my hands of the both of you

Because I don't have any more attention
I don't have any more patience
There are even days when I feel like
I'm running out of love

So don't test me, all right?
Don't test me

You're both so damn selfish
And I don't know where it came from
I really don't

But here I am wasting my life
Worrying about you two
And neither one of you even care

Raising you two is like trying to keep the plates spinning
Like those old variety show people

I gotta keep spinning and spinning
And hope nobody falls down

Hope the bills get paid
Hope the dinners get made
Hope nobody winds up dead

That's my whole life now
Just spinning those plates

So please, I'm begging you
Listen to me, all right?

Don't give me one more plate to spin

No comments:

Post a Comment