Saturday, March 26, 2011

My Sister's Name

I put my sister's name
On Tally's Bridge

It's written all along the side of it
In big pink letters

And if they scrape it off
Or paint over it
I'll go back
And write it all again

My buddies had to hang me by my legs
And I could see how deep the water went
But I still did it
Just to see her name that high

I've been writing it on highways
And billboards
And road signs
And random walls

I even wrote it on the sidewalk
That runs along Dale Ave

It's not about defacing public property
I think everything looks better
With her name on it

I want people to see it
So they remember

I guess maybe I'll get used to her being gone

I won't get over it
But I'll get used to it

But I wouldn't get used to somebody
Asking me who she was

So I wrote her name everywhere I could
That way when people see it
They'll remember who she was
Or they'll ask who she was
And it'll keep her going, you know

I think of it like a balloon in the air

You just gotta keep an eye on it
And make sure it doesn't hit the ground

People come and go, you know
But a bridge and a road and a sidewalk

All that's there forever

That's how she should be

Eveywhere, forever

No comments:

Post a Comment