Monday, March 21, 2011

I Mailed Myself to Marta

I mailed myself to Marta
Because she moved to France

Her parents said ‘Wah wah wee wah’
And she was gone

Just like that

Marta and I were going to be married
Upon our second grade graduation

That was before her mother got a job
Making beautiful dresses in Paris
And Marta was taken away
In the dark of February vacation

I came back that Monday
With a present to give her
From the Grand Canyon

(It was a little mule named Packy.)

But she was gone

Some men might take this lying down
But I can’t nap when I’m upset

So I found a big box
In my garage
And I’m packing myself inside it
And drawing four stamps on top
So I can be mailed to Marta

(I guess I could have just drawn two stamps, but I wanted to be on the safe side.  It’s possible I’ve gained some weight in the past few days with what my mother calls ‘stress eating.’)

When my mom went out to the mailbox
And found the package
With me inside it
She was a little confused

I explained my problem to her
And she brought me inside the house
Made me a tuna sandwich
And made a few calls

Then came back with an address in France
And a crisp piece of notebook paper

‘Here,’ she said, ‘Write her a letter.’

I was going to say
That a letter won’t be enough

That Marta and I must be together

What if she meets another boy in France?

One who can do long division
And tie his own shoes?

My mother said—

‘Absence makes the heart grow fonder’

But when I’m absent from school
My heart doesn’t miss it at all

When my mom saw me getting upset
She left the kitchen
And came back a few minutes later
With a box full of letters

‘These are from your Dad,’ she said, ‘He wrote them to me’

There were lots and lots of letters
And Mom was smiling just looking at them

I guess if it’s good enough for Dad
It’s good enough for me

But if Marta writes me back
And says one word about a boy named Pierre--

I’m calling UPS

No comments:

Post a Comment