Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Florida at Night

I did not fuck your husband
Because I am a needy person

I don’t need anybody
And if I did
I wouldn’t need him
So you can put that out of your head
Right here and now

He used to like getting me inside a car
While it was raining
And we’d make love
Like we were going through a carwash
Getting all shiny and clean

You want me to spare you the details?
Or do you want the details?
Because as details go
They’re pretty fascinating

Did he ever try fucking you at Disney World?

I notice you flinch
Every time I say ‘fuck’

Maybe that was the problem
Maybe you flinch too much

He fucked me at Disney World
During a hurricane

You know they just about never close Disney World
They keep it open come hell or high water

I think they closed it once in the seventies
And that was a big deal
But they don’t close it much

Anyway, it was raining
And we had one of those big Mickey ponchos
That they sell you

Meant for obese people, I guess
Because we both got underneath it
And there was still room for the Holy Ghost
And everybody else in Heaven

Anyway, we’re on the small world ride
And the next thing I know
He’s yanking down my shorts
And yanking off his own
And pulling me up against him
Like he’s cuddling me
Which I guess was for the benefit of the security cameras
Because we were the only ones not running home that day

And while the little Dutch dolls
Sang about how much we all share
We shared a little something ourselves
Underneath that Mickey poncho

The rain let up a little later that night
And before everybody else
Could rush back for the Electric Light Parade
We went on that ride
That goes over the whole park
Where you let your legs dangle
And you just sorta sit?

We necked on it a little
But mostly we just laughed
And warmed each other up

Your husband kept saying—

‘Isn’t Florida beautiful at night?’

And I kept saying—

‘You’re not looking at Florida .  You’re looking at Disney World.’

But he didn’t get what I meant

He thought they were the same

That you can have a whole little happy world
Inside a mess of a thing
And that doesn’t mean that the mess
Can take credit for the happiness

After I was done with your husband
I knew how to keep my happiness somewhere
Where the mess couldn’t get it

When we got back from Disney World
He stopped calling

I was kinda hoping maybe he died
But I guess that’s not the case

Maybe he thought we couldn’t top
That trip to Disney World

Maybe he just got me out of his system
Once and for all

Do you know?

No, I didn’t think you would

. . . . .

A few weeks later, I got a room
In a nice hotel

Five floors up

I figured five floors would do it

The room had a nice little patio where I could sit
Until I was ready

Well, I did some drinking
As you might expect
And when the bottle was empty
It was night time

Then it started to rain

I went back inside
Because I do not like being wet
And the last thing I wanted to feel
Before I died
Was wet

So I stayed in my room
And waited for the rain to pass

While it was coming down
I thought of all those nights
In that car
Him making those carwash noises

Woshhh Woshhh Woshhh

The rain went on all night
And when it stopped
I walked outside on that patio
And I looked at Florida

Right before the sun came up

The night just saying its good-byes

And it really did look beautiful

And I thought maybe your husband left me with something

Or maybe he took something away

Because, so help me
I couldn’t tell the happiness from the mess

What a nice gift

Well, that…and the other…

. . . . .

I named her Florida
Even though I moved
Two days after she was born

It’s where she’s from, after all
Even if she’s never lived there

It’s where her Daddy’s from

And it’s a pretty name
If you think about it

I told her I’d take her to Disney World next year
For her birthday
But that depends on how much money we have

We don’t do well, but we do okay
She never asks about him

Don’t know why, but she doesn’t

If she ever did, I’d tell her a real nice lie
All dressed up like a cotillion girl

But so far, no need

She’s my little bit of happiness

When I look at her
I can’t remember any of that other stuff
We’re talking about

All I remember is the view from the hotel room
Early that morning

And the way the sun cast its light
On all the right things

No comments:

Post a Comment