Wednesday, January 12, 2011

July

Here they tell me it's not July
But I still get to walk on the beach

Beautiful day, I say to passerby
Beautiful day

I guess I can't get cold anymore
But I cough sometimes
And sometimes sneeze uncontrollably

I'm allergic to coconuts
And pie crust
And honesty

That last part got too poetic
Can I do that again?

I'm only allergic to the coconuts and the pie crust
And the pie crust I can eat
If I take my medicine first

But I don't really like pie
So why bother, you know?

What's the worst lie someone ever told you?

Worst because you believed it
Or maybe because you wanted to believe it

The worst lie he ever told me
Was that it was July

I believed him
And I wanted to believe him
And I guess, if I'm being honest
A part of me still does believe him

Because it feels warm
In spite of what they show me

They hold up snow to me
And say 'Do you see?  Do you see?'

I do see
But I don't believe
And so I say 'I'm sorry'
And carry on
Walking down the beach
I carry with me

They categorize crazy
As 'seeing something and disregarding it'

By that definition
Think of how many of us are crazy

I see ocean water
And hear seagulls
And smell barbecue chicken
And play with a dog on the beach
And above me fireworks explode

It's July

Maybe he lied to make me happy
I could only ever be happy in July
So much light, content to stay where it was

Not looking to run off into darkness
Before the day is over
Like it does in January

I liked it when it was July
And he knew that

Maybe that's why

Maybe thats why...

No comments:

Post a Comment