Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Marty and the Light

Marty stares at the light
Like he sees something in it

Cold out, real cold
Gonna snow they say

Probably not this time
But next time it will

You should go outside
I can keep an eye on Marty

He's not looking for trouble
Not this time, but next time
Maybe

Two days clean
And already he's missing it
Something awful

Looking at everything
Trying to figure out
How it works

Some people get hurt
And they forget how to walk

Like my cousin, Rich
Two years ago
When he was in that accident

Marty still knows how to walk
But he doesn't remember how to trust
Or see things the way they are
And the way they can be

He sees a light
And wonders if it's too bright
Or if it's just him
Missing the darkness

I'm just going to wait here for him
I'm his mother, that's my job

Keep the screen door open
And the cold out

Make sure that when he's ready
He can come on inside

No comments:

Post a Comment