Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Holly Negotiates Her Snow Days

Superintendent?

This is Holly speaking
From the fourth grade?

I got your cell number
By using Google

Gosh, I don't what you old people did
Before there was an Internet!

Anyway, I'm just calling about the snow

Now, I realize we all received the day off today
But I feel it's not enough

For one thing, the roads could still be very slippery tomorrow morning
And I simply don't think it's safe
To rush us back to school tomorrow
If it's not entirely necessary

Which, let's be honest, it isn't

So let's take Thursday off the table, shall we?

Fantastic

Now, since that means we'll be off tomorrow
After having been off today
Does it really make any sense at all
To make us go into school on Friday
Merely to then give us two days off?

Why not just cancel Friday
And call it a week?

We'll need the time off anyway
After the stress of having to shovel, am I right?

Oh no, I don't shovel
I'm only a little girl
Although I do enjoy sitting in my bedroom window
With a nice mug of hot chocolate
Tapping on the glass every now and again
To let my father know
Which spots on the walkway he's missed

Now, once the weekend is over
We could just go back to school
But you know, it's not good to just jump back into a full week
After you've had five days off

You need to ease into school
The way a lobster is eased into a pot of boiling water

Which reminds me--

MOM!  YOU PROMISED I GET TO HOLD THE LID ON THIS TIME!

Sorry Superintendent
It's almost dinnertime

So what do you say we go back, hmm
Let's say Wednesday--half day?

Then again, it is supposed to snow next Tuesday night
So we may have to play it by ear

What do you say?

Do we have a deal?

...Adding days to the school year?

...Shorter summer vacation?

Mr. Superintendent, I'm not sure you're aware
How negotiating works...

Let's start again, shall we?

MOM!  DON'T TAKE THEM OUT OF THE BAG YET!  THE STUPID SUPERINTENDENT IS PLAYING HARDBALL!

Now, where were we?

No comments:

Post a Comment