Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Looking for Aliens

What do you see out there, huh?

You out looking for aliens again?

Want your old mama to lay out there with you?

I can get down
But I can't get up

Not until this diet's done in six months
Then I can get down and up and down and up

Your mama will be a regular yo-yo

Won't that be something?

. . . . .

You looking for him, ain't ya?

Nothin' wrong with it if you are

Nothin' wrong with it at all

I was watching t.v. the other day
And they said people process

That's what they said

People process

They're sad and so they process
And sometimes they do things
Some people do crazy things

Not that I think looking for aliens is crazy
But I do think it's unwise
To sit outside in the cold night air
Without a coat on

Oh, I know it's July
But night air is night air, ya know

. . . . .

You know, I saw an alien once

I did, I really did

Flew through the sky
Right over my house
While I was out on my porch
Kissing a boy

Was that boy your father?

He might'a been
And he might not'a been
Who's to say?

That's not, as some would say, pertinent
To the story

What's pertinent is that a blue saucer
Went right over my head
And zapped me

Felt like power lines
Were being hooked up to my eyes

And at the very same time
I felt truly happy
And large

Not large like I am now
But large in a bigger picture sort of way

I felt like a real person

Never felt that way before

Always felt like I was swimming around in my own body
Until that saucer zapped me

Then I came into it
And when that boy kissed me again
I gave him a kiss back

I really did

. . . . .

Honey, you can lay out here all you want
But at some point you gotta come back into the world
And back into the house
And continue on with life

If he's up there flying around with aliens
Then he'll be just fine
But I still gotta worry about you down here

These past few months you been swimming around in your body
Not there, not really, not at all

Maybe you're afraid if you really put yourself on
You're not going to like
How all that sadness fits on you

But honey, you gotta put it on anyway
And wear it around
And get used to it
Because it ain't the first time you're going to have to try looking good in something
That feels like shit

Hell, you seen me in heels, haven't you?

. . . . .

I'll let you keep looking for now
Because you gotta do things in your own time

But if you're looking up there for answers
Know that the answers to all the important questions
Come from you, not anybody else

Not the stars or the planets or the blue saucers

When I got zapped all it did was remind me I was alive
And that it was my choice whether or not I wanted to act like it

You can look all you want, honey
But you know what you know, don't you?

I think you do

I really think you do

No comments:

Post a Comment