Saturday, January 29, 2011

I Saw Your Ring

I saw your ring, you know

Not like you tried to hide it

Maybe you just don't care?

Well, I care

If you think I'm into married guys
Then you've misread me

I am not interested in helping you
Satisfy your oppressed desires

I am not interested in sex without kissing
Eye contact, or emotion

I am not interested in having you put on your clothes
And head out the door
Before I even find out your name

I would rather go upstairs to my room alone
And sleep alone
And be alone
Then be with you
Knowing somewhere there's a sad, little naive woman
Tucking her two kids in
Thinking her husband's out making a living
When all you're doing is sitting around a hotel bar
Trying to figure out who here is wearing the same secret as you

Maybe you come from a religious background
Or maybe you think you've been converted
Or maybe you're in denial
Or maybe you're guilt-ridden
Or maybe you're just an asshole
Who thinks they can do whatever they want

But whatever you are
It isn't right

Not with that ring on your finger

I'll give you this though
At least you didn't try taking it off
Hiding it

It wouldn't matter though

You can always tell when a man wears a ring
And not just by the white circle around his finger

A man like you looks a certain way

I saw the ring in your eyes
Before I even looked at your hand

So thank you for the drink
And thank you for the talk
And good luck
And get help
And good-bye

Thank you for reminding me
That there are worse things in this life
Than being on your own

No comments:

Post a Comment