Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Medicine Man

I'm not going to comment
On why my wife lost the election

That's not for me to comment on
That's not something
I feel comfortable
Commenting on

But I will say this:

The current Mayor of Providence
Grew up and was raised in Baltimore

Now, there's nothing wrong with Baltimore
Aside from everything that's wrong with Baltimore
But our current Mayor was raised there
And came here at what I would consider to be
A late age

He was in his forties

And he arrived
And it was like
The Medicine Man showing up
From another village

Now, I'm not putting this on our Mayor
Because it wasn't his fault

It's a Rhode Island mentality

That only the outsiders can save us

We do it all the time

Business going south?

Bring in an outsider

Artistic venture not working out?

Bring in an outsider

City going belly up?

Only the Medicine Man can save us
Summon him

These people are five minutes
Before the Journal is asking them
What's wrong with our state

'Hey, you just got off the plane.  What do you think is wrong here?'

We them before they even get a chance to unpack!

We're fascinated by what other people think of us

Is that some of sort of statewide insecurity issue?

You know what?  It might be

We believe that we do not have the ability
To fix our own problems
And that, I would say
Is our biggest problem

Forget about how my wife answered some question
Or what political party she's affiliated with

She lost this election
By not being shiny enough

By being a local girl

By becoming the victim of the collective belief
In this state
That someone who grew up here
Needs to stay down in the dirt with the rest of us
While we bring in and pay people
To be better than us

And does that make any sense?

No

It doesn't make any damn sense at all

You want a comment?

That's my comment

No comments:

Post a Comment