Tuesday, February 21, 2012

After Five Minutes

After five minutes
I knew

Call me crazy
But I knew

And he knew too
We both knew
It was ideal

It was an ideal
Situation

Then, just to make sure we both knew
We made love

I don't remember where it happened exactly
The entire affair was a whirlwind
It was less like sex
And more like a naked tornado

But it was wonderful
And that's how I knew
I was going to spend the rest of my life
With this guy

He proposed after two hours
And I said 'Yes'
After two hours

While we were lying on the hood of his car
In the parking lot
Of the Stop and Shop
On Bald Hill Road

--Oh my gosh!  That's where it was!

That's where we--

Well, there you go

We've been together every since
Today is our three year anniversary
And you know what?

I'm as sure now
As I was three years and fifty-five minutes ago

People said we were nuts
Of course we were nuts
We were in love
You have to be nuts to be in love

Single people are totally logical
And that's why they're single

Anybody here single?

Well, if you are
Let me give you some advice
Get crazy real fast
And pretty soon
You'll be making love on the hood of a Buick
Bathed in the light
Of the all-night Denny's

It may not sound like poetry
But trust me
It is

All I needed was five minutes
And I knew

I got a cousin's
Been on-again
Off-again
With this guy
For years and years
And she's still not sure

I say if you're going to be sure
You're going to be sure right away
Am I right?

My grandma buried my grandfather
Years ago
And she still keeps his shirts

I asked her if I was crazy
Because I fell for my guy
After five minutes

And you know what she asked me?

'What took you so long?  I knew about your grandfather in five seconds.'

Fifty years later
And she's still got the shirts
Hanging in the closet
Of a man who isn't even there anymore
That's how much she loved him

So you go ahead
And you think about my five minutes
And you think about those shirts
And you tell me

How much longer
I should have waited
To make sure
I was sure

'Cause me?

I stopped thinking about it
A long time ago

No comments:

Post a Comment