Wednesday, February 22, 2012

If We Can Get to Summer

If we can get to summer
I'll throw a big party for us

We'll have stuck it out
We'll have gone over the hurtle
The hurtles, plural
The many hurtles

And there will be a lake
Or a beach
Water

And it'll be our reward
Summer

Right now, we're in a rough time
And that's because so much around us
Is rough

Cold weather
Darkness
That claustrophobic feeling
When all you can do is stay in
And pile up your problems on the floor
Wondering when you can get rid of them

This is a tough season
But it's already getting warmer out

Because of, you know
Global warming and whatnot

And pretty soon
We'll be able to go out
And get away from the problem piles in the apartment

We can see friends again
We can be social
We can recommit ourselves
To the world at large

We don't have to spend all our time
Watching tv together
Telling ourselves that's what love is

Love isn't someone to watch tv with

...or maybe it is

The thing is, once I get straightened out
I'll be able to do more, you know?

It's just that right now
I'm tired
I'm tired all the time
And I'm sorry for saying it's you
It's not you
You don't tire me out
It's just you start getting on my case
And it's dark out
And I'm cold
Because I forgot to pay the heating bill
And that's my fault
And I know that
But sometimes I wish you would just shut the up and...

Anyway, we're better in summer, right?

Don't we do better in summer?

So if we can just get to summer
Then it'll be cool

It'll be cool and windy

Maybe I'll toss the television
Out onto the street
And let somebody else pick it up

We're addicted to it, you know?
I've been thinking about it
And it's true

We're addicted to that thing

To sitting around
And doing nothing
Except trying to keep warm

We're hooked

And we should only be hooked on each other
The only addiction we have should be us

And that's how it's going to be
Just as soon as things
Get a little bit

Warmer

No comments:

Post a Comment