Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Bell Rings

I sit in class
In front of a test
A test that will determine my grade
A grade that will determine my transcript
A transcript that will determine what college I get into
A choice that will eventually affect
All aspects of my life
Or not
Depending on whether or not
The world ends
Or the economy collapses
Or I discover gold in my backyard

I think about this
And a bell rings

The test is over
I have failed

Or the teacher is sick
The test is postponed
I study like a madman
The teacher comes back
I ace the test
I ace the class
I get into a great school
And I'm set for life
And a bell rings

The teacher is there
But the test is easy
Or I've studied
Or it's both
Or it's neither
But I'm lucky
And I pass
But only by a little
And a bell rings

Time freezes
I'm in class
Pencils are poised
The moment is here
And I can stay here
I can remain in a moment of indecision

Or I can progress
I can let it ride
I can go for it
I can put down the pencil
Or eat it
Eat it whole

I have these options

But instead I move past it
The moment
I take the test

And then I wait

Have I finished early?
Is that good?
Is that bad?

Have I done something wrong?

Is time still frozen?

And I wait to hear it

That sound

The sound that says
Time's up

No comments:

Post a Comment