Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Shopping, or Infinite Time

A woman shops for a belt
Just a belt
Only a belt
We are only here for a belt

We arrived at the mall at noon

That was several months ago

The belt has yet to be found

Shoes have been found
Dresses have been found
A lion cub has been found
Hiding in the middle of the clearance rack

I've adopted it
And named it Coco
And taught it tricks
While my wife
Shops
For a belt

I say my wife has no concept of time
And people think I'm vocalizing that old cliche
But I mean it in a very literal sense

My wife
Has no concept
Of time

She can actually transcend time
While shopping

She comes home occasionally
Thinking she's been done for an hour
To find that our children are grown
And I've remarried and divorced twice

While we've been here in this department store
I've evolved

I've developed gills and feathers

Technically, I could fly out of here right now
And directly into the nearest body of water
Where I could live happily for the rest of my life
But apathy has washed over me
Like a cool, calm tide

While my wife looks for a belt
I see other men looking at me

Tears roll down their faces
Like that Indian
In the pollution commercial
From the seventies

They don't know that I've evolved past grief
And anger
And pretty much everything
That would involve me going through this experience
As a normal human being might

It's the only way to protect my sanity

When we leave this mall
There will be no more oxygen
Or atmosphere
Or war
Or hair

Humans will have waists
That automatically adjust
To fit whatever pants are around them
So you see
Belts
Will not
Be necessary

Isn't that funny?

I could tell my wife that
But I'd rather not disturb her

She's like a gazelle when she's shopping

Frighten her
And she'll run into the appliances department
Where you may not see her for months

So I just let her be

Time, after all
Is relative

After awhile, you start to see it

Its grains

All falling
Like rain from the sky

And as long as you look at it that way

Spending eternity
Looking for a belt

Really doesn't seem
That bad

No comments:

Post a Comment