Wednesday, February 22, 2012

For All Time

I'm writing this speech
Well, we don't call them speeches, but--

They're for this couple
Whose wedding I'm officiating
And I wanted to talk about time
You know, the idea of time
How we pass through time
Sail through time
Carefully tread through time while...

I'm trying not to scare the kids
I mean, it is their wedding

The trouble is
I've been...questioning
The idea of marriage
Or, at least, marriage as it pertains to time

It doesn't trouble me all that much
Because obviously I won't be dealing with marriage
On a personal level
Anytime soon
But I do counsel married couples

And I'm starting to think to myself
How do I counsel these people
To suffer the, what do they call it?

The slings and arrows of time
When those slings and arrows
Have changed significantly
Since the inception of marriage
Of the idea of marriage

It used to be you got married
Ten years went by
And you died
But now
You could be talking about decades

Imagine any person in your life right now
Now imagine them decades later

Can you?

I can't

It horrifies me to try

Or, alternatively
You could be with someone for a few days
And they could get hit by a bus

It's so difficult
To encourage any couple
To enter into any union
With so many variables

I mean--for all time?

Do we really know what that means?

Well...

I guess that's why they call it faith

No comments:

Post a Comment