Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Way Past Midnight

Oh my God, can you believe
She served me coffee?

I mean, I'm aware it's not vodka
But still
It's not chocolate milk either

Would your mom die if she knew
We were at a diner right now?
Would she die?
Mine would die

Mine would ack ack ack die, seriously
Are you going to eat the pancakes?
Don't insult the woman
Eat your pancakes
She brought me coffee
Clean your plate
These are adult things we have to do
Or she'll call the police
And tell them
Rowdy teens are at her diner
Leaving plates full of pancakes uneaten
When children in North Attleboro
Are starving to death
I'm assuming
I mean, right?

What time is it?
Well, it's not midnight
That's the thrilling part

It is so far past midnight
And we are up
And not only up
Up and out
Out of our houses
Pulling the old 'my mom thinks I'm here, and your mom thinks you're there'
And it might work

I mean, we might actually get away with this
Which would be thrilling
But sort of sad
Sad that then we would have
I mean I hate to say this word, but--

Gullible parents

Maybe being able to lie to your parents
And get away with it
Is the first sign of adulthood

True, unquestionable
Adulthood

God, I'm wired
I feel like pulling my hair into a bun
And discussing French cinema
And, like, sexual things
But, like, from a purely philosophical standpoint

So this is what this time of night
Does to people

It's exhilarating, isn't it?

I'm not sure I'll ever sleep again

Isn't that great?

It's like something a movie star would say
In a really bad old movie

'I'm not sure I'll ever sleep again'
She said
As she decides to have more pie

Who knew the time of our lives
Was waiting for us
Just over the midnight line?

It makes you wonder
How much else you've been missing
Doesn't it?

Eat your pancakes
Life's too short

Life's too short
Not to stay up late
And finish your pancakes

There's some wisdom for you
There's some tried-and-true wisdom

No comments:

Post a Comment