Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Never Another First Time

I bought our daughter condoms today

We're going to the doctor next week
And then she'll be on birth control
But something in her eyes told me
I needed to act fast

She's sleeping at her girlfriend's tonight
Which means she's at that boy's house
Which means buying the condoms
Was a good idea
So stop giving me that look

Yes, I should have talked to you about it
I should talk to you about a lot of things
But you would have forbid her from leaving the house
And in a month she's turning eighteen
And then what?

I realize everything in you
Wants to believe she's still four-years-old
But time has passed
She is a woman

And she came to me
Like a woman
And asked for...help
And so, I helped
And I respected her for doing that
And it's not a question of if she's going to have sex
But when
So at least now
She's prepared
And that makes me feel better
You want to be mad?
Be mad
But don't punish her when she comes home
Or grill her
Or send her to her room
Because I told her that she did the right thing
And she did
And yes, I told her to consider waiting until marriage
But it's not 1912
And I think she knows that

Hell, even I laughed when I suggested it

It's not like we waited until...

I didn't tell her that if I had had a mother
That I felt comfortable talking to about this kinda stuff
Then she might not even have existed
For a years more

If at all...

Look, she's not interested in having a baby
She sees the couple across the street
Who get no sleep
Because their daughter never wants to go to bed
And I can tell
That's not what she wants for herself right now

She's not like her sister
If that girl makes it through college
I'll be shocked

I know I shouldn't say that
Because she's our daughter but my god
She's more maternal than I am

I guess that's not such a bad thing

Isn't it sad that the first time we've talked about sex in months
Is a conversation about our daughter's sex life?

You know our first time was...

That boy isn't so bad

Chances are
She'll be fine

I mean, what's the ideal in this situation?

She grows up
Gets married
Has kids
And then what?

Stops having sex altogether?

Maybe it's a blessing if your first time
Isn't all that great

Maybe if it is
You wind up expecting too much

We all need something to look forward to
Don't we?

We all gotta have
Something

No comments:

Post a Comment